A
A
A
Text font size:

Mushroom Allergy - Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment



Allergy from mushroom is not very common when compared to the other kinds of food allergies, and hence, people need to be all the more careful. A very small percentage of people may experience allergic reactions by consuming mushrooms and kinds of fungi. However, childhood allergies to mushrooms may fade away with passage of time, but the allergies acquired in the adulthood are very difficult to do away with time.

Being the members of the fungus family, mold as well as mushrooms is capable of triggering similar kinds of symptoms such as irritation and small rashes. The Shiitake mushrooms, which are very popularly used as an ingredient in the Asian cuisine, can cause a skin rash but in very rare cases.

Symptoms

People having this kind of allergy may also be allergic to other forms of fungus like mold, yeast. Consumption of mushrooms or inhalation of mold spores may cause fever effects like allergic rhinitis. It may be perennially or seasonally. Symptoms include itchiness in mouth, eyes, throat, swollen eyelids, constant headaches, sneezing, and a running nose. People may also suffer from breathing problems and can develop hives or rash on the skin surface. The upper respiratory responses towards inhaled allergens of mushrooms usually include coughing, and sneezing.

Different allergies of mushrooms that produce health effects from different outdoor exposures are known as mold allergies. These mushroom allergies in the adults are not curable. According to the National Institute of Health, patients allergic to mushrooms will get sick every time they handle mushrooms or eat them. However, some extreme anaphylactic allergic reactions may occur, which may pose a threat to life and cause abnormal pulse rate, breathing trouble and fainting. It may also cause cardiovascular as well as respiratory failure, needing immediate paramedic help.


Shiitake mushroom
It is also important to have a clear idea of difference between the mushroom allergy and food poisoning. The bacteria and toxins in the mushrooms may cause damage to brain, gastrointestinal tract, and liver. These symptoms include delirium or confusion, severe upsetting of the stomach, different kinds of visionary problems. Treat them with care; otherwise, they may become life threatening also.

Diagnosis

When you have any kind of indication of allergy from mushroom, immediately consult with a doctor. Describe about the allergy in details to the doctor, and the patient with the allergy may be required to undergo a blood test or a skin test. In case of the latter, the skin is pricked and this allows a small amount of allergen below the skin surface. If one is allergic to mushroom, a rash will develop immediately. In case of a blood test, it is much simpler. The blood of the patient is analyzed to verify the presence of antibodies.

Treatment

In most cases, over-the-counter oral antihistamines can help in providing relief against the symptoms. If a person is suffering from allergic rhinitis, he or she might be prescribed a nasal corticosteroid spray, which leads to reduced inflammation of the nose as well as reduce the sneezing, itchiness. However, the best way to prevent this allergy is to avoid mushrooms altogether.





Tags:  , ,


Related posts:

Follow us!

Hope You Enjoy This Article..?

Subscribe To Get Free Email Updates!

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Google Analytics Alternative